Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Running in the fall

Last night I went for what could be said to be my first real, true run this fall. I really love running outside this time of year. I've noticed many people almost immediately switch to a treadmill as the temperature drops, but I think they're robbing themselves of something special. The air is so crisp and cool, and the light in the evening is almost ethereal. The lower light enables me to really look around and absorb my surroundings. Wearing glasses instead of contacts and sunglasses when running really limits your ability to observe a lot in the summer, when the sun is shining so brightly. The cool temperature allows me to push myself without worrying about overheating, and the drop in humidity can be said to be glorious. Running in the summer in Northern Virginia can be compared to swimming in a hot tub. Running in the fall is the opposite of this. When I step outside it's almost too cool; I'm almost cold, but as soon as I start my workout my body temperature rises and all thoughts of the temperature just fall away, and I find my rhythm.

I ran approximately 3.4 miles at an easy pace, putting my total run time at 35:16. Not too bad for not having run any true distance in a couple of weeks. I felt fantastic afterwards, which is exactly what I want when it comes to maintaining a positive attitude towards a workout plan. When I returned home I did the Tony Horton Ab Ripper 100, which is basically the most painful series of ab workouts I've ever done, and I know that isn't saying much. Afterwards I cooked a quick stir fry dinner with Lis and we relaxed with friends. It was a great evening.

So far so good.

No comments: